The Sheffield City Region is home to a highly skilled, experienced and profitable workforce who like to get things done.
- Of an overall 1.9 million residents, 1.2 million are of working age and an additional 2.1 million live within a 60 minute commute.
- A region skilled in Advanced Manufacturing with 51,000 (7%) employed in the industry, 2% above the national average
- Doncaster is one of the lowest cost locations in the UK for engineering and related recruitment
- Hourly wage rates are 11% below the national average for the UK
- There’s a ready supply of graduates with 15 Universities within 50 miles of Sheffield
- A higher education system skilled in working to support the needs of the private sector
- 9.5% of students in Sheffield’s Universities are enrolled in engineering and technology subjects, which is 3% above the national average
- The Engineering Faculty at the University of Sheffield receives more research funding than the University of Cambridge
- The revolutionary University Technical College opened in 2013 for 14–18 years olds with courses designed by employers in Advanced Engineering and Creative and Digital Media